Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Daily Groceries (1)

Every day, we do our daily grocieries, and thus so do I. The area of Manhattan where I live, Upper West side, has several stores that I visit, all within walking distance. Every day we do our groceries, and although we have assumingly a free will and a wide range of choice in the products we buy, I must admit that the moments of decision making go by without much notice. Sometimes I look at the price, sometimes at the brand or at the product being fresh, organic or healthy in some other intuitive way.

I am a dilettant on the path of the Food Revolution to Food Utopia, I admit. I find it hard to occupy myself mentally with food and nutrician, with the effect of microwaves, the types of sugar or alike. So this experiment to understand what we eat, has an open end on my part. So, with that open (i.e. ignorant) mind, let's take a random day and summarize my groceries of today.

The following summary lists what I bought today. There are a few things that I find interesting and note worthy. First of all, of course, most 'organic products' or 'natural products' are not certified, which means mainly in my opinion that I have no guarantee that what I buy as organic or natural, is really what I am to believe what it is, and therefore it could be anything, including not organic at all, i.e. my Food Revolution just imploded.

Second, I must conclude that although I am fully aware that some products market themselves as appearing to be healthy, natural and perhaps disguised as organic even, when looking at much of the ingredients, I am little aware of their health effects. Thirdly, I am a little bit surprised that while producers go through so much effort to label or market their products as healthy, natural or organic that only few products give any attention to either the wrapping material or the lengths of distribution.

Store:
Met Foodmarket
1316 Amsterdam Ave
New York, New York 10027
212-662-1644

Organic Whole Milk, Ultra Pasteurized
1.89 L
Organic Valley
$3.99
Organic Grade A Milk

Product: Tropicana Pure Premium, No Pulp Original
Qnt: 1.89 L
Brand: Tropicana
Price: $3.50
Notes: "100% Pure & Natural Orange Juice"

Product: Organic Promise Strawberry Fields
Qnt: 295 g
Brand: Kashi
Certified: USDA Organic, Quality Assurance International
Price: $3.99
Notes: Promotes Organic Horizon milk
Company: Kashi Company

Product: 100% Natural Granola Oats, Honey & Raisins
Qnt: 396 g
Brand: Quaker
Certified: No
price: $3.39
Notes: "Box made from 100% recycled fibers, 35% minimum post consumer content"
Made in: Danville, Illinois
Company: The Quakers Oats Company


Store: Apple Tree, Amsterdam Avenue
Product: Bombay Potates
Qnt: 285 g
Brand: Tasty Bite
Certified: Kosher Inspection Service
price: $2.59
Notes: "All Natural, Vegan", "Not Vegetarian, Vegan, No Gluten, No MSG Added, No Preservatives, Kosher, No Refrigeration, 18 months shelf life"
Ingredients: Saturated Fat (400mg, 2% daily value), total fat (6% daily value), sodium (412 mg, 17% daily value), Total Carbohydrate (13g, 4% daily value), dietary fiber (3g, 12% daily value), sugars (2g), Protein (5g)
Made in: India

Product:Tom Yum Soup
Qnt: 285 g
Brand: Tasty Bite
Certified: No
price: $2.59
Notes: "All Natural, Vegan", "Not Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten, No MSG Added, No Preservatives, Not kosher, No Refrigeration, 18 months shelf life"
Made in: India

No comments: